[ Bristol CS | Index ]
The Game of Life
Conway's Game of Life is something which many programmers have a go at as an
interesting exercise. This is a C version which I wrote once to go along with
a talk on the subject. These two files are both needed:
The graphics routines come in several versions. Pick one or write your own:
- dumb.c crude text: works on almost any computer.
- curses.c text using cursor motion: works on most
- mac.c works with Metroworks Code Warrier on Macs.
- turbo.c works with Turbo C 1.5 on a PC.
- allegro.c works with djgpp and the Allegro library
Here are a few data files containing life patterns (look for the xlife
program on the Web to find a vast database of further patterns).
- rpent the r pentomino
- glider the glider
- gun the glider gun
- repro thirteen gliders colliding to make a
Dr. Ian Holyer,
firstname.lastname@example.org. Last modified on Friday 6 February 1998 at 09:14. © 1998 University of Bristol