BMVC 2013 - Travel
Bristol Airport (BRS) is 15.6 km south of the university campus and has scheduled flights to many UK and European cities. The University/City and the airport are well connected:
- Checker Cars offer taxis from Bristol Airport. The journey should take around 30 minutes and costs less than £30
- The Bristol Flyer coach service calls at Bristol Bus and Coach Station near the University campus for less than £10
- Further travel information is available from the Bristol Airport website
Alternatively, Bristol can be reached by coach from the two London airports (Heathrow and Gatwick). The coach trip from Gatwick is around 3.5 hours. Coaches leave from all terminals and arrive at the Bristol Coach Station.
Heathrow Airport which is the main UK airport is 170km East of the city. The coach trip from Heathrow varies from approx. 2 hours to 2.5 hours depending on the service. To get to Bristol from Heathrow Airport:
- There is a coach service run by National Express which takes 2 hours to reach Bristol central bus station; coaches leave Heathrow every hour and the return fare is around £40 – you can book online, but make sure you leave enough time after your flight lands to catch the coach as many cheaper tickets are not flexible.
- There are also trains from Heathrow to Bristol, see National Rail. Prices vary enormously depending on which route you take, how far in advance you book and whether you can get any discounts (e.g. student card). Again, this can be booked online.
- You can either take the Heathrow Express into London Paddington and then change to a train to Bristol Temple Meads station – the train to Paddington leaves Heathrow every 15 minutes and takes about 12 minutes to Paddington. Trains from Paddington to Bristol leave every hour and take about 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to Temple Meads station. The whole journey takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Or you can take the Rail-Air bus from Heathrow to Reading station and join a train to Bristol Temple Meads station at Reading. Rail Air buses leave about every 20 minutes and the total journey time is about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Be aware that Bristol has two mainline railway stations. Visitors should travel to Bristol Temple Meads as it is about 3km from the University.
To get to the University from Bristol Temple Meads:
- Taxis are available from the exit to the station. The journey should take about 15 minutes and cost less than £10
- The 8 and 9 bus services run every ten minutes in peak time and stop on the University campus. The journey should take about 20 minutes
- Walking from Bristol Temple Meads (PDF, 3.5Mb) to the University takes 30-40 minutes and will involve an uphill climb.
Coaches from a range of UK cities arrive and depart from Bristol Bus and Coach Station on Marlborough Street in the centre of Bristol, about 15 minutes walk from the University campus (PDF, 3.5Mb). For information about coach times and fares, consult the National Express Coaches website.
The M4 and M5 motorways put both London and Birmingham within a two-hour drive, while the M32 allows direct access from the M4 to the heart of the city.
Directions to the University campus from the M32 are available as a Google Map